Thinking of making the switch to cloud-based scheduling? If you’ve ever worked in a shift-based workforce before you’ll know that organising your shifts isn’t always a simple task. Managing notice board or whiteboard schedules, staff scribbling their names or marking unavailabilities for the week ahead. When someone’s sick, daily tasks are dropped to find last minute fill-ins to make sure shifts are covered. Staff only have the ability to bid for shifts for the next week ahead…
There’s a lot to consider when organising staff schedules:
- How many staff will you need?
- How many managers will you need?
- Which staff are available?
- Which staff can fill in for those sick?
- What are the pay rates of each staff member?
- What are the awards for specific times?
- When does each staff member go on their breaks?
- What person is working in what area?
Working in excel is obviously a better solution than pen and paper, but this still requires back-and-forth communication. It also doesn’t intuitively consider pay and award rates, and it’s far from a central location accessible across teams. If you’re a manager in hospitality or retail, you’ll know these problems all too well. The good news is that a lot of these challenges can be solved by switching to a cloud-based scheduling solution.
What is cloud-based scheduling?
When it comes to scheduling, cloud-based systems take your existing processes and make them digital, hosted on a platform that’s accessible via the internet across devices. The benefit of going through this process of digitalisation means your processes are centralised, easy to access and best of all: scalable. So, whether you run a team of 60 or a workforce of 2000, your processes can stay consistent and streamlined as your business grows.
Here are ten reasons to make the switch:
- Take your schedules online. Create, manage and notify schedules online. This means anytime, anywhere you have access to the internet (even on your smartphone).
- Get instant schedule notifications. Notify staff via text, email or in-app notifications. They’ll be able to respond, automatically updating the system. No more phone calls or time wasted communicating back and forth.
- Better communication. Staff are immediately notified on their phone when their shifts have changed. Long gone are the days of communication breakdown and forgotten shifts.
- Empower staff to easily trade shifts. with each other. A simple manager approval means it takes no time and no effort to get work shifts covered when you need it.
- Centralise your systems. Leave, time off and availability are all centralised online, making it easy to keep track of, and allowing for future planning. See schedules and staff availability in one place.
- Manage multiple locations. Easily navigate schedules and workplaces in-app. Manage multiple locations, franchises and allow different managers to schedule their teams.
- Better insights. Want to know how many hours have been scheduled? What the wage costs are and what the breakdown of locations is? These are just some of the reporting and analytics statistics available in online employee scheduling software.
- Better over time and payroll management. Want to know how many staff you can allocate for your budget? What about how much it will cost you if your staff work overtime? Have all awards and payroll in one system. When you’re ready to make payroll, just export it to your favourite system or a CSV.
- Keep you on top of compliance. Got schedules that need to account for qualifications, certifications or even vaccination status? Purpose-built software is easy and simple to use. You can customise solutions with compliance alerts to help ensure the right staff are in the right place across schedules.
- Scalability. As a business grows, scheduling responsibilities add up. Can your current process handle the pressure? Managing an excel spreadsheet isn’t the best method across a dynamic workforce or multiple locations. Instead, customisable software is easy and simple to use.
If you’re curious to see if you can manage staff scheduling better, let us walk you through a free Ento demo. You’ll never want to go back to paper, whiteboards or spreadsheets again.